I could make a litany of all the good things I have to say about avocados. I don’t really know how I spent so many years without them. I’m pretty sure I tried them first when I was around 10 years old, but being a naive, ignorant child, I didn’t really appreciate them at the time. Haha. Then I started reading about the amazing health benefits that this awesome little fruit has to offer and I decided I wanted in. Let me list just a few:
- The thick skin of an avocado protects it from taking in pesticides, meaning you don’t really have to buy organic
- Avocado is high in many nutrients such as fibre, potassium, vitamin E, B vitamins
- Rich in healthy fats that are good for the heart
- Can help regulate blood sugar levels
- Has been found to protect against free-radical damage, meaning it prevents cancer
- Studies have also shown it to prevent Alzheimer’s disease, heart disease and diabetes
Now on to the exciting part- how it eat my avo!
- For breakfast, instead of the old butter and vegemite on toast that I used to have ALL the time as a little kid, I use avocado and ‘vege spread’ from freedom foods: http://www.freedomfoods.com.au/OUR-FOODS/Freedom-Foods/Spreads/175.aspx
- To make a healthy dip i mix avocado, ricotta and chopped spinach. This is great to have with carrot sticks
- I LOVE avocado on sour-dough bread with an egg, a pinch of Himalayan salt or Bragg seasoning: http://www.bragg.com/products/sprinkle.html
- Make a creamy, healthy alternative to chocolate ganache using avocado, raw honey, good-quality dark chocolate, cacao powder and vanilla extract
- You can even include some avocado in a smoothie to add a creamy texture. Don’t worry it won’t taste weird- I’ve tried it before 😉
- For a moisturising yet clarifying face mask, combine avocado, raw honey and a few drops of tea tree oil.
I really encourage you to include avocado in your diet. It has an amazing texture, taste and far too many health benefits to ignore. EAT SOME RIGHT NOW!! 😀